Portovenere, Italian Riviera
Province: La Spezia

The Ligurian coast between Cinque Terre and Portovenere is a cultural landscape of great scenic and cultural value. The layout and disposition of the small towns and the shaping of the surrounding landscape, overcoming the disadvantages of a steep, uneven terrain, encapsulate the continuous history of human settlement in this region over the past millennium.


In front of Cape San Pietro there are Palmaria island and the islands of Tino and Tinetto, originally linked to the mainland

Portovenere was an important military base first under the Roman domination, then under the Bizantini.

History of portovenere




tower-houses


Although Portovenere is not one of the village in the Cinque Terre, it is very close and as beautiful if not nicer...
The Castle, S. Lawrence (16th century)

Catholic church in Portovenere

Used to be a temple to Venus Erycina (From which the name Portus Veneris derives). The temple was then transformed during the first years of Christianity into a Christian temple. In 1256 ad. The Genoese built the church over the early Christian temple, to thank the inhabitants of Porto Venere for their help in taking Lerici castle.
Chapel

A church of the 13th century, with black-and-white stripe exterior and interior that it is recognizable from far out at the sea. The interior is simple with windows opening to the blue sea of the Italian Riviera.

Visiting Portovenere

  • Museums:
    • ANTIQUARIUM DELLA VILLA ROMANA DEL VARIGNANO
    • MUSEO E TESORO DELLA CHIESA DI SAN LORENZO